This is progress! With help from some friends, I was able to get the first pieces assembled. All the parts, including the bolts, have been photographed and documented. Now, it will be an easier job of cleaning parts and adding them in the order that they were taken off. Fingers crossed that the rest goes smoothly.

Continue ReadingProgress!

Box o’ bolts

NaBloPoMo November 15. Just a box of dirty bolts to go before I can assemble the first pieces of the board shear. It is tough to have such slow progress with this...alas, there are other things that have to get done aside from cleaning my new toy. But Monday is a new day!

Continue ReadingBox o’ bolts

Sanding Saturday

NaBloPoMo November 14. I sanded all day to get the two main base pieces of the board shear ready for assembly. After sanding was finished, I lightly oiled the pieces with linseed oil to seal and protect them against rusting again. Any surface that receives oil is heavily buffed with a dry cloth to remove any excess oil. Since everything is metal, there is no absorption. My plan is to heavily document the process of putting this together. I don't anticipate being in my studio space for the rest of my life which means one day I will have to…

Continue ReadingSanding Saturday

Happy Friday

NaBloPoMo November 13. Today was a busy day of casing in the remainder of the blank books and the twenty are now complete. It was a sad realization last night, though, that while I was on schedule to finish all the books by today, I didn't factor in shipping time. This means, they won't make it to the sale for which they were intended. At times like this, it is no wonder people have assistants. In order to make some lemonade out of the lemons, the books will be put online once photographed. That will be coming soon...

Continue ReadingHappy Friday

On the Case

NaBloPoMo November 12 The blank books are moving along and the cases are being assembled. I am using the millimeter binding style following Peter D. Verheyen's article in The Bonefolder. The case is made of two boards (a front and back cover), a spine piece (made from card stock or something similar), and a paper connecting strip. Since there are so many books to be assembled, it prompts a jig! Step one is setting a ruler as my stop where the paper connecting strip will butt up. I then cut a piece of board that lays on top of the…

Continue ReadingOn the Case